Kinx's Book Nook: Review: Taken by Storm

Friday, July 6, 2012

Review: Taken by Storm

Taken By Storm by Jennifer Lynn Barnes
Publisher:   EgmontUSA
Published:  May 22, 2012
Format:       Ebook,314 pages
Genre:         YA/ParanormalRomance

From Goodreads:

Bryn knows first-handthat being the alpha of werewolf pack means making hard decisions, and thatbeing human makes things a thousand times worse. She’s prepared to give up herhumanity, but the wolf who promised to Change her is waiting- though for what,Bryn doesn’t know. Still human, she must take her place in the werewolf Senate,the precarious democracy that rules the North American packs. Standing side byside with werewolves who were ancient long before she was ever born is enough of a challenge, but Bryn soonlearns that the Senate has been called to deal with a problem: the kind ofproblem that involves human bodies, a Rabid werewolf, and memories that Bryn,Chase, and the rest of their pack would rather forget. With bodies stacking upand political pressure closing in from all sides, Bryn and her pack are goingto have to turn to old enemies and even older friends for help- especially whenit starts to look like this time, the monster might be one of their own.

The first thing I would like to mention is that the abovedescription doesn’t convey what this book is about AT ALL. I was not preparedfor the direction that Ms. Barnes took this series and I’m not sure if I likethat direction. It is painful and brutal. I really don’t want to includespoilers in this review but some really bad stuff happens throughout this book.

In the beginning of the book, Bryn and Callum havemaintained a good relationship. She knows that deep down Callum would never letanything happen to her. By the end, Bryn’s belief in Callum has completelyshattered. For Bryn, the end doesn’t justify the means. This is one of thedirections that I didn’t like. Callum actions, or lack of action, destroyedBryn deep into her soul. I don’t know how she can recover. I know that she isResilient but no one is that strong. I really don’t think a character shouldface that much pain. Bryn has way too much responsibility as an alpha of awerewolf pack. Because of it she is losing her humanity. She has to make brutaland life-changing decisions that few people can psychologically handle.

I found some of the storylines far-fetched, even for aparanormal novel. Shadows are introduced and I had a hard time accepting thatwhole concept. I don’t want to give anything away but the use of the Shadow, tome, didn’t fit in with a werewolf story. Like I said, a little too far-fetched.I found the Shadows distracted me from the climax of the story. I was nowherenear prepared for the climax and ending of the story. It really blew me away.

Overall, I didn’t like where the story took Bryn. I think itwill be hard for her character to recover and be able to lead any kind of ahappy life. I think the author may have dug herself into a little hole and itwill be difficult to get out. However, I will read the next book in the series.Taken by Storm ended with a huge cliff-hanger and I want to see what happensnext.

Rating: 3 out of 5

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love any and all comments! It keeps me honest!