Kinx's Book Nook: Review: The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Review: The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde

The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (Thursday Next #1)
Published by Penguin Books
Released in 2001
Hardcover, 374 pages
Fantasy

From Goodreads:

Welcome to a surreal version of Great Britain, circa 1985, where time travel is routine, cloning is a reality (dodos are the resurrected pet of choice), and literature is the taken very, very seriously. England is a virtual police state where an aunt can get lost (literally) in a Wordsworth poem, militant Baconians heckle performances of Hamlet, and forging Byronic verse is a punishable offense. All this is business as usual for Thursday Next, renowned Special Operative in literary detection, until someone begins kidnapping characters from works of literature. When Jane Eyre is plucked from the pages of Bronte’s novel, Thursday must track down the villain and enter the novel herself to avert a heinous act of literary homicide.

Wow! What a strange ride! Jasper Fforde has created an intriguing and unique world in The Eyre Affair where classic literature rules the lives of the population and literary characters come to life. This was a really interesting read and I enjoyed the characters, especially Thursday Next. There is plenty action, a little bit of romance and a bit of humor as well.

Thursday Next is a SpecOps agent in SO-27, LiteraTecs. Her job is to investigate literary mishaps. She is a really good character who is thrown into a diabolical plot of literary ransom. Her favorite book is Jane Eyre and she finds herself having to protect England’s most beloved character, Jane Eyre, from serious harm. She is tough and extremely intelligent. She is a wonderful adversary for the villain, Acheron Hades. She also has an interesting relationship with Mr. Rochester. One of things I really enjoyed was that Fforde found a way for all his characters to coexist without it feeling awkward or too far-fetched.

Acheron Hades is truly a diabolical character. He is the archetype villain. There were many times that I envisioned him with a black sinister mustache and him twirling it while cackling. At one point he was actually monologueing about his devious plots. I wish there was more background on his character. After I finished reading this book, I had a few unanswered questions about his character. How did he receive his strange powers? Why is silver such a big deal? Why did he become so evil?

One of my favorite parts of the book is the performance of Richard III. In our world, we have Rocky Horror Picture Show and in Fforde’s world, it’s Richard III. How fun is that? It was so funny and creative how he had the audience participating just like Rocky Horror, including people dressing up as the characters and the crazy audience responses. I would definitely go see Richard III if it was performed that way. Fun! Fun!

There is a little bit of romance running through the book. It wasn’t a main theme; it was more of a side plot to distract Thursday from her mission of capturing Hades. I don’t think the romance aspect was really developed that well. I really didn’t care that much if Thursday had a romantic happy ending or not. I wasn’t that connected to the side of the story.

My biggest issue with this book was the world-building aspect of it. From the beginning, I felt like I had been thrown into a world with no explanation. I like the hows and whys; where I want background and detail of an alternate world. However, overall, I found this world fun and entertaining. I definitely want to read the other books in the series.
 

4 comments:

  1. I think the romance feels like a side issue for the reader because it is for Thursday. She feels like love is never going to work out for her, so it's not in the front of her mind.
    I've heard the second book in the series is even better. I'm excited to read that one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. But she couldn't really let it go. Landon seemed to be always on her mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of my favorite books -- and the next 2 are great too! By book 5, the series is running a bit clunkily, but the first few are amazing.

    I personally like the way we're just tossed into the alternate universe and kind of have to figure things out as we go. It makes it feel more real to me, that this is just how things are everywhere, not just in one quirky part of the world (as opposed to Harry Potter, where we spend a lot of time getting introduced to how the wizarding world works because it's not the way the whole world works).

    And I thought that the romantic aspect being sidelined worked well, because that's how life works a lot of the time -- people want to have time for a relationship, but something big comes up at work and they have to concentrate on that, while still thinking about the person they're interested in. Life is all about juggling these days.

    Anyway, good review! I also love the national obsession with Richard III -- wonder if anyone does performances like that, inspired by these books?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment. I saw that the latest Thursday Next book has been released. Have you gotten it yet?

      Kendal

      Delete

I love any and all comments! It keeps me honest!