Kinx's Book Nook: Throwback Thursday (13): A Room With a View

Thursday, September 13, 2012

Throwback Thursday (13): A Room With a View


Throwback Thursday is a weekly meme hosted by The Housework Can Wait and Never Too Fond of Books.
It’s the nature of book blogging to focus mainly on new releases, but there are thousands of great books out there that haven’t seen the “New Releases” shelf in years. We hope to be able to bring attention to some older titles that may not be at the top of the current bestseller list, but still deserve a spot in your To-Be-Read pile.
You don’t have to be a book blogger to participate! You can put up a Throwback Thursday post on your non-bookish blog; or if you don’t have a blog at all, just use the comments to tell us about a book you remember fondly.
My Throwback Thursday:

A Room With a View by E.M. Forster
Published in 1908

One of E. M. Forster's most celebrated novels, "A Room With a View" is the story of a young English middle-class girl, Lucy Honeychurch. While vacationing in Italy, Lucy meets and is wooed by two gentlemen, George Emerson and Cecil Vyse. After turning down Cecil Vyse's marriage proposals twice Lucy finally accepts. Upon hearing of the engagement George protests and confesses his true love for Lucy. Lucy is torn between the choice of marrying Cecil, who is a more socially acceptable mate, and George who she knows will bring her true happiness. "A Room With a View" is a tale of classic human struggles such as the choice between social acceptance or true love.

Why do I love this book? It is such a classic. It is just so beautifully written; it takes your breath away. So romantic! I love all the descriptions of Italy. You just want to get lost there.

2 comments:

  1. I think I heard of this book before! I think! It sounds really nice! Very romantic, indeed. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another of my favorite books-turned-movies on a Throwback Thursday!

    This book does have an interesting distinction for me. I usually read with several books in progress at one time. I've never gotten characters confused until I read Dracula and A Room with a View during the same period. Too many Lucys!

    ReplyDelete

I love any and all comments! It keeps me honest!