Kinx's Book Nook: Review: The Hobbit

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Review: The Hobbit

The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
Published by Harper Collins
This edition published in 1991, originally published in 1937
289 pages










 
Fantasy

Synopsis:

In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort.

Written for J.R.R. Tolkien’s own children, The Hobbit met with instant critical acclaim when it was first published in 1937. Now recognized as a timeless classic, this introduction to the hobbit Bilbo Baggins, the wizard Gandalf, Gollum, and the spectacular world of Middle-earth recounts of the adventures of a reluctant hero, a powerful and dangerous ring, and the cruel dragon Smaug the Magnificent.

I have to admit this is the first time I've read The Hobbit and I wanted to read it before I saw the movie. I really wanted to love this book, but I just couldn't. And I know that so many Tolkien fans will think that that is just blasphemy!

First of all, I thought it rambled too much and I had a really hard time getting through it. I can usually read a book in a couple of days but this one took me over a week; and it's not that long of a book. I thought the characters were a lot of fun and Bilbo is wonderful little hobbit. However, some of the descriptions of the journey were a bit tedious.

Overall, I'm glad I finally read The Hobbit. I have already read The Fellowship of the Ring and I tried to read Two Towers, but I think I'm done with the Lord of the Rings. I gave it my best shot. It's just not my cup of tea.



 


2 comments:

  1. So funny to find this because I just started the Hobbit yesterday. I plan to take a full week to read it. I read it when I was a kid but never finished it (it was a take-it-back-to-the-library thing). Not surprised by your review, though. Because Tolkien was first a linguist and second a writer, his style does leave a lot to be desired. The story is definitely worth it and, like you, I wanted to read it again before seeing the film. But no worries, his writing leaves most people mildly horrified. :D Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, at least you give the books a try!! I love those kinds of books, well, when I was younger, I was a big fan ha ha :) I read The Hobbit years ago, I need to re-read it. Great review! Glad you gave the book a chance, sorry you didn't fully enjoy :)

    Great review!

    Magen Corrie
    ~Corrie the Book Crazed Girl

    ReplyDelete

I love any and all comments! It keeps me honest!