Kinx's Book Nook: Feature & Follow Friday (18)

Thursday, October 25, 2012

Feature & Follow Friday (18)



Gain new followers and make new friends with the Book Blogger Feature & Follow! If this is your first time here, welcome! You are about to make some new friends and gain new followers -- but you have to know -- the point of this hop is to follow other bloggers also. I follow you, you follow me.

The Feature & Follow is hosted by TWO hosts, Parajunkee of Parajunkee's View and Alison of Alison Can Read. Each host will have their own Feature Blog and this way it'll allow us to show off more new blogs!

Question:

What writing device or trick most irritates you when reading a book?

Answer:

The dreaded cliffhanger! I understand why authors use them – to buy their next book. What I really dislike is when the author ends with a crazy cliffhanger and takes two years to write the next book. It’s very frustrating and I have a tendency to lose interest if I have to wait too long to see what happens next. I don’t think the cliffhanger is really necessary. I have read many stand-alone books in a series and it doesn’t affect my decision to read the next book.

13 comments:

  1. OOoh I have a love-hate relationship with those things! I enjoy them but I don't enjoy waiting a year for the next book either!

    Here's my Follow Friday

    Have a GREAT weekend!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopping through. I don't always mind cliff hangers. They're exciting but it's hard if you don't have the next book right there.
    My Hop

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a good one. I have a love hate relationship with those. LOL
    -Jenese
    www.readersconfession.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yeah. Yep. i agree. The cliffhanger. Although sometimes, I love those because it makes me want to read the next book. It's just the next book always come out too late. Omg. New follower~

    - Cindy
    http://bookaholicfaggots.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't throw stuff at me, but..I enjoy cliffhangers sometimes!! Not always but if it's a really good WHAT JUST HAPPENED HERE?? moment(like the ending of Variant by Robison Wells) then I'm so freaked out over the plot twist, I don't mind being left hanging. :)
    My FF

    ReplyDelete
  6. I picked the cliffhanger too! It drives me crazy. I just like complete stories. A book should be able to stand on its own right.

    ReplyDelete
  7. UGH I know!!! I don't mind a few unanswered questions, but holy cow, when they leave us hanging at the precipice of this huge, gaping cliff... It's frustrating... Definitely gets me to buy the next book though, no matter how irked I am...

    *old follower*

    My FF

    Keely @ Realms of an Open Mind

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for stopping by, old follower. I agree about cliffhangers. If I hear that a new book in a series ends in one I will wait until the following book comes out and then just read both.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a bit divided on this one. In some respects they're really effective. But in others, it can frustrate the reader. However, making the reader want to read the next book is good marketing! ;)
    Rinn (My FF)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I only love it when I have the next book near me! I mean, I hate it when I have to wait a year to read the next book. That's why I'm bad in ending series.

    J'adore Happy Endings

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember the use of a bad cliffhanger in case of Shadows by Ilsa J Bick. It felt so contrived! Otherwise well done it can make the reader anticipation real sweet.
    Old follower
    My post - F&F: Lit Tropes
    Addie @ READioactive Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good point, just hopping by.

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2012/10/feature-follow_26.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree. Huge cliffhangers are awful, especially since I hate waiting! =)


    Old follower via GFC.

    My FF

    Sabina @ Delirious About Books

    ReplyDelete

I love any and all comments! It keeps me honest!